Although braces are highly effective at restoring smiles that are crooked and out of alignment, they cannot do their job effectively if they are broken or damaged. In addition, your teeth and gums will still need to be cared for daily. Here are a few tips on how to clean your teeth when you have braces:
– Sports and other outdoor activities are a leading cause of oral accidents in patients, so it is a great idea to protect your teeth at all times by wearing mouth guards, facemasks, or headgear, if applicable.
– To ensure your braces will continue to function as required, some dietary restrictions may be required. To begin with, avoid sticky and chewy foods that can get trapped between your braces and teeth.
– Keeping your braces clean and clear of debris requires an ordinary routine to operate as normal, including brushing and flossing daily. If you struggle from flossing with traditional flossing threads, use alternatives such as water flossers.
– If a wire or bracket comes off on your braces, minimize the damage by covering the loose end with a dental wax and scheduling a visit with your orthodontist immediately.
– Don’t delay in attending cleanings and exams with your orthodontist.
– Don’t delay when you need to clean your retainer, so try to focus on a routine of weekly cleaning.
Dr. John R. Schouten and all of our wonderful team are located in Evanston, Wyoming. If you would like to schedule an appointment with Uinta Orthodontics for orthodontic braces, please call our orthodontic office at (307) 789-8742. All smiles deserve a little extra care and attention, and we give it to them!